Professor Nurul Absar
Professor and Head
Field of Interest: Biochemistry, Food Technology, Lectin / Protein Technology.
Google Scholar Citation: https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=a1v3frcAAAAJ&hl=en
Number of Publications: In National Journals: More than 90 in numbers,
In International Journals: More than 90 in numbers.
Thesis supervision: Ph.D : 24 nos, M.Phil : 10 nos and M.Sc(Thesis): More than 80 nos.
*Retired from Rajshahi University on date November 2011 and joined again as Head, Department of Biochemistry and Biotechnology, USTC.
Academic & Administrative Positions so far held:
* Project Evaluation Committee Member on Environmental Sciences, Ministry of Science & Information and Communication, Govt. of Bangladesh.
* Working as Professor/Associate Professor selection Committee Expert member of many Universities of Bangladesh.
* Now jointly supervising Ph.D program with Rajshahi University & M.S program with Chittagong University.
*Seminar Attended: Participated in many International and National conferences at home and abroad.
Ongoing research works:
Determination of Polyphenol, Flavonoids and Antioxidant activity of Black Cumin & Stevia rebaudiana.
Pathogenic Microbial detection from Tea cup washing liquid (Saliva Diseases).
Food Toxicity: Reboiling tea consumption may be toxic.
Major nutritional, Total Phenolics and Antioxidant activity of Cynodon Dactylon. (Durva Grass)
Future Research Plan:
Pineapples produced at the hilly regions of Chittagong Division and Modhupur, Tangail:
i) A Comparative Database on the macro and micro nutrient contents of Pine apples.
ii) Partial purification of Bromelain – A Proteolytic Enzyme will isolate from the different varieties as crude enzyme from leaves and fruit, and determination of physicochemical properties of the crude bromelain.
iii) Purification, Characterization and Physiochemical properties of Bromelain from different varieties.
iv) Designing specific primer and amplification of its gene and also determination of the gene sequences of the specific gene.
v) Improvement of quality and production of Pine Apples by introducing specific traits using genetic engineering.
Association with Literate Organization:
1. Life member, Bangladesh Biochemical Society.
2. Life member, Bangladesh Chemical Society.
3. Life member, Bangladesh Association for Advancement of Science.
4. Member, Bangladesh Medical Research Council: For 3 years.
5. Member, Editorial Board, Bulletin of Sericulture Research, Bangladesh.
6. Member, Editorial Board, Rajshahi University Studies, 3 years.
7. Member, Editorial Board, J. Bio-Science, I.B.Sc., University of Rajshahi.
8. Editor, Rajshahi University studies, 3 years.
9. Member, Editoral Board, J. life Sciences, Jahangirnagar University.
10. Member, Editorial Board, Scientific J. Open University, Dhaka.
11. Included in 14th edition of Who’s Who
12. Nominator’s, American Biographical Institute Research Boards.
13. Included in 26th edition of IBC, Cambridge, UK
14. Convener, Bangladesh Society for Biochemistry & Molecular Biology, Conference
15. Convener, International Training workshop on Bioinformatics and Computational biology in South Asian perspectives September 25-26, 2012.
Other Socio-curricular Activities:
1) Adhunik: As an advisor of adunik (more than 4-years) at Rajshahi University, I participated different activities such as motivation of the students against harmful affect of Tobacco by organizing seminar, symposium, rally etc., distributed cloths and other essential goods specially during the winter season to the needy peoples in and around Rajshahi City Corporation.
2) Rajshahi University Journalist Association: As an advisor to their association during my tenure of Proctor and Dean at Rajshahi University (more than 3 years), I participated different activities such as seminar, symposium, conferences etc. inside and outside of the campus as well as help & advice the student journalists of different newspapers in their need.
3) Sandhani: Associated with Sandhani during my tenure as a Provost of a residential hall (3 years), and motivated the students for donating blood on the basis of considering humanitarian ground.
4) Member of Rajshahi University Science Club: As an active member of the club, I participated many seminars and symposiums related to science education, and also motivated the students at different levels about different problems specially related nutritional importance of foods, balanced diets etc. inside and outside of the campus.